The Young Southeast Asian Leaders Initiative Professional Fellows Program (YSEALI PFP) is a fully-funded exchange program sponsored by the U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs. YSEALI PFP provides emerging leaders from Southeast Asia the opportunity to spend five to six weeks in the United States gaining professionally relevant fellowship experiences at non-profit, public, or private sector organizations. The program is designed to promote mutual understanding, enhance Fellows’ leadership and professional skills, and build lasting and sustainable partnerships between emerging leaders in Southeast Asia and the United States. YSEALI PFP is administered under four Institute themes: Civic Engagement, Economic Empowerment, Governance and Society, and Sustainable Development and the Environment.
To be eligible to apply, an individual must:
- Be a citizen and resident of one of the eleven YSEALI nations: Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, Timor Leste, and Vietnam. Applicants living outside of the eleven eligible countries or on a long-term program will not be considered eligible to apply.
- Be an emerging leader in government, civil society, or the private sector who has demonstrated expertise pertaining to the respective theme under which he/she is applying.
- Be currently employed with at least two years of relevant professional experience at the time of application.
- Be between 25 and 35 years old at the start of the program (born on/after March 1, 1986 and no later than March 1, 1997).
- Be self-directed and able to work effectively in a cross-cultural setting.
- Be able to identify an objective/project of their own selection that the applicant would like to implement in their home workplace or community.
- Have demonstrated proficiency in both written and oral English.
- Have demonstrated leadership and collaborative skills.
If you are selected as a finalist, the U.S. Department of State will cover costs associated with your international travel, visa, and basic living costs in the U.S. There are no required costs to Fellows.
HOW TO APPLY?
Deadline: 15 November 2022
Open to: professionals age 25-35 from any of the eleven YSEALI countries
Benefits: international travel, visa, and basic living costs in the U.S.