Table of Contents
The Scripps Howard Foundation offers a 12-month journalism fellowship program in conjunction with the Scripps News Washington Bureau/Newsy and ProPublica.
We all know the Internet has changed journalism. And it’s not just the business models. It has also helped spawn new ways of reporting and new forms of storytelling. For journalism to flourish, the leaders of tomorrow’s newsrooms will need to understand and take advantage of the new ways of doing it all. That means data, crowdsourcing, multimedia, and no doubt forms we haven’t yet landed on. Nobody can be an expert in it all. But deep exposure to the tools is crucial. As are the management skills to meld them all together.
That’s why they have created the Scripps Howard Fellowship Program. It’s an intensive, 12-month program with the goal of developing a diverse pool of talented, young journalists who will have the foundational skills for future leadership. Starting in June, fellows will work at either Scripps News Washington Bureau/Newsy or ProPublica, focusing on developing expertise in one specialty, while being exposed to all the components of the newsroom.
The fellows will come together on three occasions for sessions on career management, leadership/collaboration and the business of journalism/entrepreneurship.
The tracks you can choose to apply in:
- Investigative Reporting (offered both at ProPublica and Scripps/Newsy);
- Engagement Reporting (at ProPublica);
- Multimedia storytelling (at ProPublica);
- Data Reporting (at ProPublica);
- Broadcast Newsroom 360.
They’re looking for applicants who:
- Can demonstrate their potential in their preferred specialty. That can mean having previous work in the area, or having a deep understanding of it;
- Are committed to telling stories about abuses of power;
- Are excited about all the ways we can do journalism nowadays: from deep data-digging, to working with readers, viewers and listeners to marrying narrative and investigative forms;
- Really likes working with others. Many in newsrooms have their own superpowers, whether it’s sourcing, document-diving, data, engagement or design. The best work is often together.
The fellowship runs for a year, from June 2022 through June 2023, pays USD 50,000 and includes full benefits.
Open to: have previous work in journalism, or have a deep understanding of it
Awards: USD 50,000 fellowship
HOW TO APPLY?
- The most important part by far is your past work. Please send them three clips.
- A memo describing what specialty you’re picking, and how you’ll be able to contribute in it.
- Your resume
For more information please visit the official website.