TechWomen Emerging Leaders 2022
The TechWomen connects and supports the next generation of women leaders in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics by providing them the access and opportunities to advance their careers and pursue their dreams.
Through mentorship and exchange, TechWomen strengthens participants’ professional capacity, increases mutual understanding between key networks of professionals, and expands girls’ interest in STEM careers by exposing them to female role models.
From the moment the Emerging Leaders arrive, they are immersed in the innovative, constantly evolving culture of Silicon Valley and the San Francisco Bay Area. Emerging Leaders work closely with their Professional Mentors to design meaningful projects while exploring the San Francisco Bay Area with their Cultural Mentor and fellow program participants.
TechWomen Emerging Leaders 2022 will:
- Challenge themselves with new questions and concepts.
- Collaborate with like-minded women in their fields on an innovative project.
- Network with influential industry leaders.
- Discover their own innovative leadership style.
- Create meaningful friendships with women from all over the world.
- Explore the diverse communities of the San Francisco Bay Area and Washington, D.C.
- Inspire the next generation of women and girls in their home countries.
- Be women with, at minimum, two years full-time professional experience in the STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) fields. Please note that internships and other unpaid work experience does not count toward the two-year professional experience requirement.
- Have, at minimum, a bachelor’s degree/four-year university degree or equivalent.
- Be proficient in written and spoken English.
- Be citizens and permanent residents of Algeria, Cameroon, Egypt, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kenya, Kyrgyzstan, Lebanon, Libya, Morocco, Nigeria, Pakistan, the Palestinian Territories, Rwanda, Sierra Leone, South Africa, Tajikistan, Tunisia, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan or Zimbabwe at the time of application and while participating in the program.
- Be eligible to obtain a U.S. J-1 exchange visitor visa.
- Not have applied for an immigrant visa to the United States (other than the Diversity Immigrant Visa, also known as the “visa lottery”) in the past five years.
- Not hold U.S. citizenship or be a U.S. legal permanent resident.
Preference will be given to applicants who:
- Demonstrate themselves as emerging leaders in their chosen professional track through their work experience, volunteer experience, community activities and education.
- Are committed to return to their home countries to share what they have learned and mentor women and girls.
- Have limited or no prior experience in the United States.
- Have a proven record of voluntary or public service in their communities.
- Have a demonstrated track record of entrepreneurialism and commitment to innovation.
- Demonstrate a willingness to participate in exchange programs, welcome opportunities for mentoring and new partnership development, and exhibit confidence and maturity.
The following costs are covered by the TechWomen program:
- Roundtrip international airfare from participant home country to the United States;
- Domestic airfare from San Francisco to Washington, D.C.;
- Housing in San Francisco or Sunnyvale, California during the mentorship period;
- Meals and incidentals;
- Hotel stay in Washington, D.C.;
- Public transportation to the participant’s host company;
- Local transportation to group program events in the San Francisco Bay Area and Washington, D.C..
Participants are responsible for the cost of any non program activities such as independent sightseeing and cultural events, as well as any non program-related domestic or international travel.
HOW TO APPLY?
Deadline: 5 May 2022
Open to: countries listed in the eligibility criteria, be women with, at minimum, two years full-time professional experience in the STEM
Benefits: cost related to the program will be covered by the programme
The Spring 2022 TechWomen application will close on 09:00AM PDT (GMT-07:00), Wednesday, May 5, 2022. Semifinalists will be contacted via email in/around July 2022. Final decisions will be made no later than September 30, 2022. All applicants will be notified of the results of their application.
For more information please visit the official website.