TechGirls–International Summer Exchange Program 2022 is an Initiative of the U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs
TechGirls is an international summer exchange program designed to empower and inspire young women from around the world to pursue careers in science and technology. TechGirls connects and supports the next generation of women leaders in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics by providing them access and opportunities to advance their skills and pursue their dreams.
Since 2012, TechGirls has trained and mentored 343 teenage girls (ages 15-17) from Algeria, Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon, Libya, Morocco, Palestinian Territories, Tunisia, and Yemen. In 2019, the program expanded to include young women from Central Asia (Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, and Uzbekistan).
In 2022, the program will expand to support approximately 111 young women from 36 participating countries and 25 U.S. peers in a dynamic four-week U.S.- based experience with an 8-month mentoring program (including pre-and post-exchange).
The core of the program is a 27-day experience in the United States in partnership with Virginia Tech University. TechGirls participate in interactive technology and computer camp, then travel to one of the following cities (Austin, Chicago, Cincinnati, Denver, Detroit, Portland, or Seattle) for job shadowing at a tech company, and homestay and community service experiences. The TechGirls programming yields a multiplier effect as participants return home to conduct community-based projects with 5 months of mentorship.
- Challenge themselves with new questions and concepts
- Learn coding and tech skills from enthusiastic university professors
- Network with influential industry leaders
- Discover their own innovative leadership style
- Create meaningful friendships with young women from all over the world
- Explore the diverse communities of Washington, D.C., southwest Virginia and across the country
- Inspire the next generation of women and girls in their home countries
Your U.S. program begins with group international travel with your fellow participants from your country with a flight escort. Meeting all the other young women selected from across your region is the first inspiring element to the program.
The TechGirls staff provides 24-hour supervision and a safe and secure environment.
The TechGirls program covers the following costs:
- Visa Fee
- Roundtrip international airfare from participant home country to the United States
- Housing during program (Double occupancy dormitory accommodations)
- Meals during program (Breakfast, lunch, and dinner)
- Local transportation to group program events
- Cultural events organized by Legacy International
- Emergency health insurance
Are from one of the following eligible countries:
- Sub-Saharan Africa (AF) – Cameroon, Kenya, Nigeria, Rwanda, and South Africa
- East Asia and Pacific (EAP) – Cambodia, Fiji, Indonesia, Mongolia, Taiwan, and Vietnam
- Middle East and North Africa (NEA) – Algeria, Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon, Morocco, Palestinian Territories, and Tunisia
- South and Central Asia (SCA) – Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Pakistan, Tajikistan, and Uzbekistan
- Western Hemisphere (WHA) – Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Costa Rica, Honduras, and Suriname
- Europe and Eurasia (EUR) – Albania, Cyprus, Greece, Kosovo, Montenegro, and Turkey
- United States of America
- Are between the ages of 15 and 17 at the start of the exchange July 7th, 2022;
- Have demonstrated advanced skills and a serious interest in technology, engineering, and/or math in their academic studies;
- Intend to pursue higher education and/or careers in technology;
- Have strong English language skills;
- Exhibit maturity, flexibility, and open-mindedness;
- Will attend at least one additional semester of secondary school upon their return to their home country; and
- Are committed to completing a community-based project upon their return home.
- Preference will be given to those who have limited or no prior experience in the United States. You are not eligible if you have travelled to the United States in the last three years as part of any other ECA exchange program.
Please note that family members of U.S. Embassy or Consulate staff. U.S. Department of State employees, family members of the administering organization or partner organizations are not eligible to apply.
TechGirls encourages people with diverse backgrounds and skills to apply, including individuals with disabilities.Eligible Regions: Cameroon, Kenya, Nigeria, Rwanda, South Africa, Cambodia, Fiji, Indonesia, Mongolia, Taiwan, Vietnam, Algeria, Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon, Morocco, Palestinian Territories, Tunisia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Pakistan, Tajikistan, Uzbekistan, Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Costa Rica, Honduras, Suriname, Albania, Cyprus, Greece, Kosovo, Montenegro, Turkey and United States of America
The 2022 TechGirls application will open on November 16, 2021 at 05:00PM UTC and close at 05:00PM UTC on January 15, 2022. Semifinalists will be contacted via email on/around March 1 for the next stage of interviews. Final decisions will be made in early April. All applicants will be notified of the results of their application.
Application Deadline: January 15, 2022 https://techgirlsglobal.org/